Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I ♥ Tumblr (Weekly No. 10)


Choosing Google as the website that has made my life better would be the easiest choice for this assignment. Where else could I go to search for pictures of Beyonce, enter four words (possibly falling for you) to a song I am desperately trying to figure out and find exactly what I was looking for (Coffee Shop by Landon Pigg), assist in my education, and even help me figure out where I am trying to go? I suppose Bing... (Mike, that's not intended to be a low blow, I promise...)

There is no denying that Google has had a significant impact on nearly everyone's life who uses the Internet on a daily basis. Google's search engine has revolutionized the way we learn and acquire information, and Gmail isn't so bad, either. However, in an effort to choose a website that has been more impactful on a personal level, I choose Tumblr.

I initially started blogging on Blogger back in January 2009. I started poor & fly, and it quickly gained global readership. I discussed mostly fashion and entertainment on poor & fly, eh, mostly fashion, especially how to be fly on a budget. E-mails poured in where people asked me for my help in piecing an outfit together. Of course, I always obliged and did the best I could to piece the most "poor & fly" outfit together, which just means the hottest outfit for a guilt free price. Although I had a successful run, ever since grad school started in September, poor & fly has slowly fallen off of my radar. Talking about fashion and what Blake Lively is wearing, most recently Versace at an event for jeweler Lorraine Schwartz, isn't really appealing to me anymore, although she did look fly! Don't get me wrong, I still love fashion, I will never stop loving fashion, but blogging on poor & fly started to become boring to me. Nevertheless, poor & fly was my first blog and one that opened me up to the world of self-expression on the web; a world I wasn't necessarily familiar with before.

Not shortly after I started poor & fly, I started another blog on Blogger, eightsixteen:816. This blog was so different than poor & fly. It was definitely more personal, my musings in a sense. I posted everything from random thoguhts to my favorite quotes to news articles that widened my eyes to pictures that made me smile. A few months after blogging about anything and everything on eightsixteen:816, I decided to move my content over to Tumblr.

My best friend had told me about Tumblr. I had read hers religiously. Initially, I was apprehensive about making the move to Tumblr. I mean, it literally felt like a move! It was apparently a big decision for me, and one that would change my life.

This past February, eightsixteen:816 turned into the little yellow diary. I had also started the little yellow diary on Blogger, but didn't really know what I wanted to do with that space, or what I wanted to use that blog for, so it just sat empty for a little while. Actually, it's still empty. I guess I just wanted to ensure that I would get thelittleyellowdiary.blogspot.com domain, and I did get that.

Since discovering Tumblr, I have, in essence, been allowed to keep a journal of all of the things that intrigue me day by day. One of my favorite things to do is collect quotes, and I am constantly adding quotes onto my Tumblr via the Tumblr application on my BlackBerry. I also love photography, and come across really captivating pictures that I want to share. I have discovered that Tumblr is the perfect place to share the creative side of myself. It is unlike poor & fly where I rant about fashion, and, instead, a place where I share words, images, music, etc. It truly does feel like a digital diary, and it fosters an environment where people are not afraid to share their thoughts with each other. I major feature on Tumblr is the "reblog" option, where you can re-blog something you like from another person's page, kind of like a re-tweet. There is also a follow feature which allows you to follow your favorite Tumblrs and have their musings show up on your Dashboard when logging in to the site.

I am thankful for a space where I can just talk and post pictures and quotes, and actually feel connected to other people, which I never felt on Blogger. I am thankful for a space that I can be creative, where people give me feedback and share ideas. There is a huge feeling of camaraderie on Tumblr, which, in my opinion, is unparalleled anywhere else on the web. I think Tumblr is a really neat world on the web, and one that most people have yet to discover. I'm thankful I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment