Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tumblr Monsters (Response No. 2)


First and foremost, I was thrilled to read Tiffani's response to my personal post. I was really touched to see that someone was moved by my friend's story and reached into their very own thankful bucket to hand out thanks. You'd be surprised to know that I sent the link to that post to my hurt friend, and he was also moved; now I'm not going to say he cried, but... he did. He also sent the post over to his mother, who also cried; she even printed the story out to share with her family, friends, and co-workers (she's also a police officer in Chicago). Reading your post and seeing his reaction was such a neat moment for me. I acheived what I set out to do by writing that post--encourage people to reflect and give thanks--and I was really happy to read how thankful you are for your life.

But, honey, can we talk about your new-found love for Tumblr?! All I can say is- Welcome to other side! How awesome is Tumblr? I was just expressing how thankful I was for Tumblr in our assigned post from Thanksgiving week! Everything you mentioned in your post is exactly how I feel about Tumblr, and why I am an obsessed Tumblr monster!
"I think what I love most about Tumblr is the versatility for posting. You don’t always have to do a full text post. It can be a quote, audio, video or perhaps the best feature, a reblog. I’m just starting out but I’ve found some great people on Tumblr that I reblog all the time. I also love it because I’m able to post great YouTube videos I’ve found or new songs I love."
The reasons you love Tumblr, is exactly why I love Tumblr. The versatility for posting is hands-down Tumblr's BEST feature. Likewise, the format of Tumblr is unmatched anywhere else on the web (to my knowledge), and I what I love the most about Tumblr. Don't you find it fascinating that we all use the same tools and yet everyone's blog is so different, unique, and one-of-a-kind? I also love that we are allowed to tweak our blogs in every possible way -- which I understand if you're familiar with HTML you can do, but the average person is probably not that familiar -- Tumblr makes it SUPER easy to customize your blog and make them visually captivating.

You also mentioned that the easiness of posting is the reason you post as much as you do. Uh, I definitely have almost 4,000 posts, and I promise I do not live on my computer; I do, however, live on my phone. I have to ask, do you have the Tumblr application on your Blackberry? I don't even know what type of phone you have, but let me tell you, if you have a Blackberry, download it! It is DIVINE! I am constantly posting quotes, pictures, lyrics, and even "re-blogging" some of my favorite Tumblrs. It is, no lie, the best application I have on my phone.

Like you, I've started blogs before on other sites and had a hard time keeping up with them. I mentioned that poor & fly was my most successful blog in another post and how it sadly became boring; but to be honest, it started to feel like a full-time job! Monetizing poor & fly was always an objective of mine, so I felt like all of the exhaustion and long nights were worth it, but the amount of money I was generating was dismal. So not worth it! Although I loved everything about poor & fly, I grew tired of it because it thoroughly exhausted me and I started to feel guilty about not posting stories; the bags underneath my eyes quickly changed my mind. Now I have different plans for poor & fly... something definitely way more exciting than posting about $5 rings I discovered at Forever 21. Although that's fun and dandy, it just got old.

I've been on Tumblr for almost a year now, and I know it sounds cheesy, but it excites me every day. Every day I carve out time to sit down at my desk and peruse some of my favorite Tumblr blogs. I genuinely look forward to it...it's one of my favorite things to do. I've already discovered yours, and I'm already a follower! (: I've learned that we have a few things in common, like our musical taste. Marsha Ambrosius wrote my favorite Michael Jackson song, ever! Butterflies. She's insanely talented. I've posted it on here before.

Like Lady Gaga dubbed her obsessed fans "Little Monsters," I have dubbed myself, inspired by you, a "Tumblr Monster." I know I sound lame, but there really are so many reasons to love Tumblr. I'm hooked!

Oh, by the way, about statistics, there is a way you can do that! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you and your friend (and his mom. lol) liked. I put my response post on my tumblr and after my friend read it she felt compelled to go read your post. See, your small token of encouragement to your friend affected people all over. I love it. I also love the Tumblr Monsters name. If it's lame, mark me as lame too. lol. Also, thanks for the Blackberry tip. I downloaded it last night. Can you share the stats tip? Thanks!

    Oh yeah, what's your tumblr so I can follow?

    ReplyDelete